Be our Camp Chef!
Greetings! You are taking the first steps to an amazing summer job experience that will impact YOU as much as you impact the children. The most successful Camp Granite Lake staff members are those with the drive and excitement to provide a great summer camp growth experience to children.
Chef Job Description
Summary: Chefs work alongside the Kitchen Manager in all aspects of kitchen preparation, menu planning, ordering, inventory, and kitchen staff management.
Reports To: Kitchen Manager
Responsibilities: (included but not limited to):
Prepare and cook food as the menu indicates (boiling, broiling, steaming, bbq, roasting of meat, poultry, vegetables, soups, gravies, sandwiches, and salads)
– Ability to serve food in both buffet and family style setting
– Preparing foods including washing and peeling & creating items from scratch
– Baking breads and muffins as needed
– Store food and leftovers at proper temperature, assure proper rotation of inventory
– Oversight of food, supplies, and utensils for dining hall distribution
– Clean and maintain all food-preparation and storage areas
– Oversee the cleaning of all prep, serving, and dining hall dishes
– Coordinate schedule and job tasks with other chefs, Kitchen Manager, and directly manage Kitchen staff during scheduled shift
– Assist with menu planning and ordering as needed
– Work with other Chefs and Kitchen Manager, to provide alternative meal options for staff and campers with food allergies and special diets
– Working towards a Culinary Degree, or equivalent experience in institutional or food service setting
– Experience managing staff in a food service setting (oversight of assigned daily tasks)
– Knowledge of standards of food preparation and serving, storage of food, and kitchen procedures
– Knowledge of preparing and serving up to 200 plates per meal
– Knowledge and understanding of food allergies, and special dietary needs
– A strong focus on food safety and daily operation application
– Knowledge of current health and safety laws and practices
– Possess current Food Handlers Certification
– Desire to work with and around children in a youth development setting
– Culinary degree OR equivalent experience in institutional or food service setting
– Servsafe Certified
– 1-2 years’ experience working in a kitchen in a cooking capacity and managing staff
– Previous experience with food purchasing, inventory management,
– Previous commercial dishwasher experience and BOH procedures
– Previous experience in a camp or camp like environment
– CPR/First Aid certified/Blood Borne Pathogen trained
Individuals must work well in a team environment and have strong communication skills. They must be prepared to step in and accomplish all aspects of kitchen responsibilities; not only providing an excellent experience to our campers and staff, but also serving as a role model to those you manage and work alongside of.
Compensation: Competitive salary for in-residence chefs include room & board, access to high speed internet, friendly work environment and casual dress code. If applicant lives within commuting distance, accommodations can be made in salary and shift structure.