Counselor-In-Training at Camp Granite Lake
Teen Leadership and Training – At Camp!
Ready for the next step? Camp Granite Lake offers a new Counselor-In-Training Program for teens finishing 10th grade. First year participants will will have the opportunity to experience camp in a whole new way. They will learn about being a staff member from counselors on topics including: staff training, cabin life, leading activities, and program planning. Through shadowing, mentorship, and direct experiences, CITs will gain the skills and knowledge to assist counselors in the cabin and in some of their favorite activities at camp.
What Do They Do?
Like other campers, CITs will live in a cabin together with a counselor. In the first week, the CIT program allows them to choose and participate in all aspects of the camp program. In the second week, CITs will help lead activities and programs, and get an even better feel for the job of a counselor.
In addition to activities, CITs will gain experience by helping with the camp’s facility, kitchen, and hospitality areas. CITs will meet regularly with a director to talk about leadership in camp and beyond, as well as discuss situations and challenges that come up during their session as CIT.
CIT Enrollment Process:
- August 13th at 12:30 PM MT: Parents may start to apply through your Camp-In-Touch Account. Spots in each session are held in the order that applications are received. Spots are not guaranteed until the CIT completes this entire application process and is accepted.
- August 22nd: For CITs who completed Step 1, a link to the CIT Questionnaire is emailed to the CIT candidates to complete. These applications should be submitted by September 6th to hold their spot. We will also ask for a letter of reference to be submitted.
- September: Program Director Krista will contact CIT candidates to schedule a brief video interview to talk about our expectations and their goals for this program.
- By October 15th: Acceptance offers and final session placements will be made by October 15th.
How Much Does it Cost?
The CIT Program is $2,250 for the two-week session (Camper tuition is $2,575). There are no additional fees on top of this, and CITs, just like campers, get their own Camp Granite Lake water bottle and t-shirt!
About Session Availability:
- In 2020, we are expanding the CIT program to allow up to six female and six male participants in each session.
- Even with that, we anticipate that not every CIT may be accepted into their first choice of session, but we will do our best for you.
- Siblings of CITs will be guaranteed a spot in the session to which the CIT is accepted, but we still encourage parents to enroll siblings in their desired session to take advantage of Super Duper Early Bird Discounts. We will work closely with you if changes have to be made.
- Super Duper Early Bird and other discounts still apply to CITs and their families.
- Just like campers, you may cancel CIT enrollment until January 31, 2020 without penalty. (We hope you don’t!)